Friday, October 30, 2009

My Sissy

Today is dedicated to my sister, Kim. Today my sister had surgery to remove her cancerous thyroid and also had three of her four para-thyroids removed. Yesterday my sister had cancer....today it's gone, and it has been said that thyroid cancer is the "good cancer" because it is pretty easily detectable and removed. I say it's still cancer. Cancer is cancer, and none of it is "good".

I am writing because my sister and I haven't always been on the same page. In fact, for most of our lives we've been in completely different books. She thinks I'm a freak who breastfeeds too long and goes to quacks for doctors, and I think she can be overly-honest and extremely loud. We have the same genetics, but our personalities are so different that you'd never know it.

Yesterday my sister had cancer and today it's gone... and I get to write about how much I love her and how sad I am for the times that we've missed out on because we haven't been able to come to a middle ground. This isn't the first day that I've felt good about our relationship, but it's the day that I surrender my feelings because I realize how much we have taken each other for granted. She may not see it this way, cause I've always been "hypersensitive" (her words), but she doesn't get to write it either. Ha!

I'm so happy that she is well and that we have so many more years to be sisters.....not everyone gets to say that.
Yesterday my sister had cancer.....today it's gone, and I
thank you, God, for my sister.
.

1 comment:

Yogi Mama to Four said...

What a beautiful post, Kendra. You are both so very lucky to have each other. So much to learn from one another, if only we can put aside our ego's! :) Good for you! Sending love... xoxo

music player